Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Word to the Wise


Forgetting something?  That's right, I left this in draft form instead of publishing it yesterday.  My apologies and I hope I can make it up to you with a double post.

“Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and diligence.”  -Abigail Adams

I believe that you are never really finished learning .  That there is always something more that is worthy of your attention or even dissection.  Unfortunately, this does not mean that formal education and I have any hope of getting along with each other.

I once thought that the flexibility of online coursework and night classes would be enough to settle matters between us and that I might, indeed, one day possess some kind of degree.  That delusion ended years ago due to my inability to balance work and school schedules, but the pursuit of knowledge and greater understanding is something I could never give up.

If you are also interested in expanding your knowledge base, check out the Open Culture post on Yale University’s free online courses.  True, you won’t get any kind of credit for taking them, but this is a great opportunity to learn introductory courses from Yale teachers and scholars, as well as to broaden your mind.

Open Culture is a great resource for the “the worldwide lifelong learning community.”   If you’re interested in taking free courses on just about anything you can think of, this is a great place to start.

 “True, a little learning is a dangerous thing, but it still beats total ignorance.”  -Abigail Van Buren

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.