Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Breaking Down Beauty: Tampons & Dioxins on The Thinnest Skin


Why start with dioxins, you ask?  Well, this whole discussion about possibly toxic beauty got started with two things.  

The first was a rumor I heard in the late nineties and only recently asked Seth, my chemistry guru, about.  What I heard was something along the lines of, "I don't use mainstream tampons anymore because they bleach them and they get contaminated with dioxin."  Of course, I had no idea what dioxin was, but I also don't use tampons (I'm weird that way), so I didn't really think about it again until...

The second was information that I came across online that stated there are several "toxic" ingredients being used in the cosmetics industry.  The information seemed to be presented in a pretty reasonable way and I'm no chemist, but I tried just doing a general search online and came up with all kinds of things being used in cosmetics that various people were claiming to be toxic.  My thought was, "Why are they allowed to put all this stuff into cosmetics?!"  

Instead of letting the panic continue, I called Seth and and gave him the skinny.  He felt it was an interesting thing to research.  Since I had just remembered the tampon/dioxin rumor, we started there.  So, in case you were worried, we do realize that tampons aren't cosmetic.  [read more...]

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.