Monday, January 6, 2014

Every Other Day, Every Other Stitch

Evidently that's the best I can do this month - write every other day.  Still better than...oh...how many previous months?

Let's move on, shall we?


As I mentioned before, the lovely Mary bought me a knitting class (on Craftsy) and all that I would need in order to make it happen.  This interchangeable set of circular knitting needles from Knit Picks was perfect.  Unfortunately, I accidentally broke one of the wooden Harmony needles and the all-metal ones just - they just wanna go fast.  You know how some cars just wanna go fast?  Well, turns out that some knitting needles do, too.  If you're an expert knitter and you want to just crank out the craftiness, metal needles are where it's at.  However, if you're a beginner and you have issues with your yarn tension, metal needles are going to drive you insane.

So I asked Mary what kind of needles I can get that will allow me to take it slow and not drop every other stitch.  The answer is anything made of wood, which is great because they tend not to be too pricey.  Even better, are these Knitter's Pride Cubics.  Mary had mentioned to check them out because some people claim they're easier for beginners and help with wonky tension.  The woman at The Knittery in Renton, WA, said that it's mostly personal preference, but she has heard that they make your stitches more even.  Since I need something with a little bit of control, the Cubics
are for me.  I may never graduate to anything else, to be honest.

Now that I've actually knit with the Cubics, I can say it's going to be a hard decision (somewhere down the road) when I have to choose between a set of interchangeable Cubics and the Knit Picks ones in Harmony that I fell in love with originally (I blame Mary, of course).  

In other news, I have discovered a den of craftiness not far from where I live and I am afraid of it.  One look at the Maker's Mercantile site made me realize that I simply can't afford to ever. go. near it.  ...Ever.  Its cuteness might just kill me.  All those damn sheep.  And awesome buttons.  And they have social gatherings for crafty peeps.  And coffee.  It is a self-described "destination craft shop," for god's sake.  ...I'm totally doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.