Thursday, July 19, 2012

Not Worth the Tastiness

I certainly never expected to be posting about fast food chicken and my feelings about anti-gay sentiment simultaneously.  


Let me start with noting that I had never been to a Chick-fil-A before I moved to the DC area.  Before I found out about the chain's president's comments (or even that they gave money to organizations trying to...what...defeat homosexuality?), Meg and I had a conversation about their food and I decided to try it.  And I have to say, it's tasty.  But it's not so wonderful that I can't live without it.  And as much as Dan Cathy has every right to voice his opinion, I most certainly have the right to not like it and choose not to patronize a business that is run by people who are so narrow-minded.  From the Washington Post
It’s not every day that the leader of a big business steps into a national debate that has the potential to offend many of its customers.But Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain Chick-fil-A, has done just that, saying on a radio show that “we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.” [read more...]
Aside from thinking that he is prideful and arrogant, this was just bad business.  And the company has obviously realized that, as they are now trying to back the eff up on this issue.  Oh, hold up...from HuffPost Food:
The latest statement follows remarks Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy -- the son of company founder S. Truett Cathy -- made in a controversial Baptist Press interview. When asked about his company's reported donations to anti-gay organizations like Exodus International and the Family Research Council, Cathy told writer K. Allan Blume, "We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives." [read more...]
I'm getting the feeling that this isn't just about associating with the queer community (but, thanks, that would have been more than enough to drive me away).   Evidently my family (seeing as both of my parents are divorced and remarried, very happily, I might add) doesn't cut it with this guy's beliefs either.  You know, I have a ton of friends who are religious and none of them try to make me feel less-than for who or what I am or the type of family I come from.  Which totally reminds me of this one guy in the bible...who was that again?


I could keep going on about this, but I would honestly much rather talk about fried chicken.  If you want someone else to make it for you, you can get tips from Huff Post Food on  choosing the best chain restaurant for your fried chicken strip needs.  Or you can make your own with this recipe from Hilah Cooking
Make a Chick-Fil-A Fried Chicken Sandwich at home with this copycat recipe.  less sugar, less salt, and less funding for anti-human-equality organizations.


I so love her. 

1 comment:

  1. i love legalism. oh wait, that's right! i fucking hate it!

    ReplyDelete

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.