Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day 4: "Do you feel most comfortable being a leader, a follower, or a collaborator?"

 This will probably make a few people giggle, but I actually don't like being the leader.  If it's needed, I'll do it and I'll do my best, I'll even enjoy aspects of it.  But I would so much rather collaborate.  I thoroughly enjoy collaborating on posts for this blog, whether the other person is doing some of the writing, helping me edit or just brainstorming.  One-person brainstorming isn't nearly as fun and my friends and family really inspire me.


I'm at the bottom of the totem pole at my current job, but I never feel that way.  Virtually everyone I work with treats me like an old friend and a part of the team.  And even though I'm the oldest person in the store (by a long shot, in most cases), we're all hilarious degenerates, so age really doesn't matter.  No, really - we're all there to work, but we're also there to enjoy it and to be ourselves.  And we're lucky to work at a place that not only allows us to be ourselves, but encourages us to do so.  


I must admit, I'm not so good at following someone blindly.  Makes me a bit of a pain in the ass, I know.  But I like to have a say in what happens around me, I like to fully understand what is going on, I want to be aware of all the pieces moving.  And, most importantly, I want to help if there's some way that I can.  That said, I've never thought twice about doing anything I've been asked at my current job - that's what being part of a team is all about.  That is collaboration.  And I work with people who deserve my respect and give it in return, so why should I hesitate?  I feel very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.