Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 5: "Do you enjoy teaching others?

While I don't want to be the leader in general, I do love to teach people.  Training was my favorite part of my last job in California.  But it's not just about teaching/training/mentoring other people.  As a trainer, you are constantly learning new things because it's your job to know everything you can.  And there is a lot to be learned from a fresh perspective - your trainee.  There have been countless times when a trainee asked a question I had never thought of or pointed out a flaw that I was subconsciously glossing over.  

 Training also teaches you a lot about yourself.  I realized, belatedly for some trainees, that I sometimes had unfair expectations and that my frustration showed.  No one wants to be on the receiving end of that and really, it isn't appropriate to put someone who is trying to learn in that position.  But becoming aware of it really helped me become a better trainer and a better learner, odd as it sounds.  A good teacher is aware of their students strengths and weaknesses, as well as their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LostGirls would love to hear what you have to say about it...however, we reserve the right to edit or delete comments which we find hateful, off-topic, offensive and/or possible spam, etc.